Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Menu 6/21-6/30

Here is my honest menu.

I am posting again this week because this post was made as a menu plan that I was going to make regardless if it was online or not and I thought that everyone reading this blog would like to see how I working at eating more traditionally.

When I bought all these groceries the lady who was checking me out commented on how healthy all my choices were. :) But I could to better!

I've tried hard to make these meals follow as closely to my ideals of removing processed junk, adding healthy fat, preparing grains properly and making them easy.

A lot of these meals I prepared ahead of time and froze - I'll let you know how they turn out! :)

Ok here they are (and sorry I don't have pictures for everything. I'll add them later when I make these recipes again!)

21] Cheesy-Beefy Pasta - made before and Honey likes it :)

  • Whole Wheat pasta (soaked 8 hrs with 1T apple cider vinegar - drained, rinsed, and then boiled, for less time of course.) 
  • Pasta sauce - bottled from the store. Remember real life here! :) I added 1/2lb of ground beef/pork sausage. Almost bought grass-fed beef but it wasn't in the budget. 
  • Mozzarella cheese - low moisture, skim. Next time I buy cheese it'll be full fat and hopefully fresh!
  • Frozen Veggies - heated with a little olive oil. 

22] Breakfast for Dinner! :)

  • Eggs - just regular eggs that I have on hand
  • Bacon - low-sodium. I can't have bacon any other way now.
  • Pancakes - leftover from the oatmeal pancakes!
  • Hash-browns - homemade! (grated, blanched, and then froze 2lb of potatoes!)

23] Leftovers! - meals from 6/20 (Shepard's pie), 6/21 or 6/22


24] Squash Soup

  • Butternut Squash - cut in to cubes 
  • Garlic, Ginger, S+P - cooked with the squash in the pressure cooker
  • Chicken Broth - water and Better then Bouillon - eh, better then just water for flavor. 
  • Chicken - leftover and frozen from Honey Mustard Chicken (w/out sauce)

25] Roast Pac - everything was frozen together in a Foodsaver freezer bag!

  • Beef roast - :) just regular beef and real life!
  • Carrots - part of the 2lbs of carrots I peeled, chopped, blanched, packed with the beef then frozen
  • Potatoes - same as the carrots only I processed 10lbs! = 4c mashed potatoes (Shepard's Pie), 2lb hash browns, and the rest 1in cubes
  • Beef bouillon - salty and has MSG but I have nothing else!

26] Pizza bread

  • Bread slice - light buttermilk bread - soaked with some white flour (I still plan on buying white flour and using it partially in my bread baking for the time being) 
  • Pasta sauce - same as in the pasta meal
  • Chicken - leftover and frozen from Honey Mustard Chicken (w/out sauce)
  • Cheese - same as in the pasta meal

27] Leftovers! - meals from 6/24, 6/25 or 6/26


28] Sweet'n'Sour Pork - this is the most compromising meal, but my Honey loves it!

  • Pork - regular. Coated with cornstarch, dipped in egg and then pan fried in all meat shortening
  • Sauce - 3/4 cup sugar (white, I didn't want to use the pure raw cane sugar I have in this but I could have), 4 tbs ketchup (one day I'll make fermented!), 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar (I could have used ACV but I don't know how much that would have changed the flavor), 1 tbs soy sauce (I want to buy a more fermented brand, like this one), and 1 tsp garlic salt - The Healthy Home Economist had this Teriyaki sauce recipe that looked good. I might try it instead next time  
  • Fried rice - rice, eggs, mixed veggies, sweet'n'sour sauce, and all meat shortening

29] Stew Pac - everything was frozen together in a Foodsaver freezer bag (SHOPPING DAY!)

  • Beef roast pieces - cut from beef roast
  • Mushrooms - leftover from Beef Stroganoff
  • Carrots - from roast process
  • Potatoes - ditto
  • Celery - washed, chopped, blanched, frozen with everything
  • Stew Mix packet - a packet that has spices and cornstarch ( and MSG : P)

30]Leftovers or Pizza bread (Anything left!)


Other meals we had this month (excluding leftovers and going out for Fathers Day on Saturday):

Beef Stroganoff 

  • Beef roast pieces - cut from beef roast
  • Mushrooms - sliced baby portabella
  • Sauce - onion, beef bouillon (: P), flour, beef fat, sour cream, AND 1/2 can cream of mushroom soup. I was so sad I had to add this but the beef bouillon I have is crap and I accidentally add way to much sour cream and the sauce was runny. Oh well. 
  • Noodles - whole wheat. Didn't think to soak.

Spicy Shepard's Pie

  • Ground beef - regular 
  • Mixed veggies
  • Sauce - leftover 1/2 can of soup because I'm not going to waste it and a roux made with the fat from the cooked ground beef, flour and 2 cups milk. I added 7 drops of After Death hot sauce for a nice spicy kick!
  • Crust - mashed potatoes (from mass process earlier), 1 egg and extra milk

Honey Mustard Chicken (*****) Five Star!

  • Chicken thighs - marinated in (heaven): 1/3c whole grain mustard, 2 T. honey, 2 t. italian seasoning (no salt or MSG :),1 t. paprika, 1 T. lemon juice, and 2 T. AC vinegar and enough buttermilk to cover. Marinate overnight. Take chicken out of marinade, put in a 9x13 baking dish, drizzle with olive oil. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 30 min then uncover and cook 30 min longer. Chicken is done at 175 degrees or when juices run clear!
  • Sauce - more whole grain mustard, honey and some of the tasty stock that the came off the chick after it cooked, boiled down to a thick heavenly sauce!
  • Spinach - wilted to help with iron absorption 
  • Potatoes - cubed (from mass process earlier) roasted with some chicken fat until browned

Chicken Noodle Soup - OMG this is tasty! Another (*****) 

  • Chicken - frozen from leftover Honey Mustard Chicken (w/out sauce)
  • Stock - sad story: I dropped the container that was holding my chicken stock from the Honey Mustard Chicken! Lost every drop! So I saved up the bones from each thigh and cracked them open, added them and leftover chicken skins to a pot with a little Better then Bouillon, water and Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb. Brought to a boil then covered and simmered for 45 min. Fished out the bones and skins. Then added the chicken and boiled the noodles in the stock. Added the carrots last because they were par-cooked 
  • Carrots - from mass process
  • Noodles - whole wheat - didn't think to soak

Here was the rough shopping list:

Dairy:
eggs
milk
buttermilk (bread and pancakes)
sour cream

Meats:
(you can stretch  these pretty far and have leftovers!)
beef roast (3lbs divided - 2 lbs cut into cubes 1lb left whole. I did this myself, but you could ask your butcher)
chicken thighs (I don't remember the weight :(  )
pork chops
1 lb ground beef 
low-sodium bacon

Veggies:
spinach
carrots
potatoes
onions
mushrooms
frozen mixed veggies
butternut squash
ginger

Other:
whole wheat pasta - egg noodle and spiral

Things I had on hand:
cheese
Mrs. Dash
bouillon
garlic and garlic salt 
honey
mustard
ketchup
soy sauce
sugar
hot sauce
whole wheat flour
pasta sauce
celery
vinegars (white and apple cider or ACV)
canned cream of soup : P

A rough guess is that I spent about $140-150, but that is including non-food items so I'm not 100% sure!
Next shopping trip/menu post I write I'll include:
  1. Actual costs
  2. Breakfast and Lunch menu
  3. and a better recipe format ( I think I just post each recipe separately and link them on the menu post) 





No comments:

Post a Comment